The backsplash is more than just a layer of tiles to protect your kitchen walls; it’s the aesthetic focal point of your kitchen. It is therefore incumbent that you choose it well. A good decision here can dramatically improve the appearance of your kitchen space. So take your time, consider all your options and then get started on getting your backsplash installed. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind while selecting a kitchen backsplash.
1) Consider the overall décor and color palette of your living space
The kitchen backsplash determines the all-round appearance of your kitchen. It’s essential that the kitchen’s aesthetics blend seamlessly into those of your living space. So keep in mind the color scheme, style of architecture, and your chosen décor for the living area before you arrive at the decision to do your backsplash a certain way. For example, if your living area has a contemporary minimalistic vibe, it makes sense to pick backsplash tiles in materials like metal or glass with little to no decoration.
2) Consider different materials in tiles
Backsplash tiles come in many different types of materials these days and you are no longer limited to just plain old ceramic. Depending on your aesthetic preference and budget, you can pick from a range of tile types like glass, metal, ceramic, porcelain, granite and marble.
Every material has its own set of advantages; for example marble lets you have larger tiles, implying ease of cleaning due to fewer grouts, and glass gives a spectacularly contemporary appearance.
Of all these though, ceramic tiles are the cheapest. Moreover, you can use ceramic tiles to mimic the look of any of the costlier materials. So if you are on a tight budget, make smart use of ceramic tiles to achieve the look you want.
3) Look into tile pattern and color
While blue and green bring an element of earthiness, white gives peace, and yellow is said to make one happy: different colors have different significances. Choose yours wisely to bring out the vibe you wish to have in your house.
Go for nice designs and patterns on tiles to make a statement. Get creative with mixing patterned ones with solid color tiles to create a unique look. At Myron Stone, we give you a large catalog of styles to choose from and also give you unbiased professional advice on choosing the best ones for your space.
4) Experiment with different tile shapes
Tiles come in different cuts and sizes, each one leading to a different appearance. Imagine your kitchen backsplash with all these different shapes. Some common ones include:
- Herringbone tiles: They form the typical inverted-V like herringbone pattern creating a stylish, geometric look.
- Laser-cut tiles: These tiles are cut using the laser in numerous shapes at once –and are joined together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.
- Diagonal tiles: As the name implies, diagonal tiles are cut and installed in a diagonal line instead of a horizontal one.
- Mosaic tiles: These are those very small tiles put together giving a very rich vintage-y look.
- Subway tiles: The most classic ones of all tile types – they may be common but still never get boring.
5) Decide the height of the kitchen backsplash you want
While it’s common to have backsplashes the height of kitchen cabinets, it’s becoming more and more fashionable to get backsplashes that go all the way up to the ceiling. It’s certainly a very effective way to draw attention to the backsplash, but you’ll have to be even more careful in choosing the material, design, and colors well – make it all outstandingly good if a full-height backsplash is what you are planning for.
Visit us at Myron Stone for the perfect guidance in choosing your kitchen backsplash tiles and an impeccable installation service for that perfect finish.
Popular Keyword Searches: Kitchen Backsplash Tiles, Kitchen Backsplash, Backsplash Tiles